This DIY project, courtesy of Haven at Bellaire, a community of new luxury apartments in Richmond TX, for a sleep mask is a sight for, well, tired eyes! With your choice of cotton or silk fabric, these sleep masks are both stylish and useful. Plus, they can save you a couple of bucks and keep your hands busy over the weekend. These homemade sleep masks can even make an exceptionally thoughtful gift for any friend or a family member with a birthday or other special occasion on the horizon – graduation, anyone? Luckily enough for you, the instructions are super simple to follow, and you can most likely make a few in one sitting, if you’re a more experienced sewer. Check them out below for the ultimate weekend craft fun!
• Cotton flannel
• Cotton batting
• Cotton or silk fabric
• Fabric scissors
• Sewing supplies
• Bias tape, approximately 7/8” wide
• Sleep masks template of your choice
1. Download and print the template of your choice and cut it out. Trace onto flannel, batting, and front fabric, and cut out with fabric scissors. Mark the two spots on the front fabric where elastic should go, as indicated on the template.
2. Layer pieces in order, from back to front—flannel, batting, front fabric—with right sides of flannel and fabric both facing out.
3. Pin elastic at marked points on the front fabric, lining up with the edge of the mask.
4. Unfold one side of bias tape and align the unfolded edge with the edge of the mask. Fold over 1/4 inch of one end. Then pin tape all around, overlapping ends of tape by 1/4 inch.
5. Using the top crease as a guide, stitch in that crease all around the mask, as shown.
6. Flip mask, so the flannel side, or the back of the mask, is facing up. Fold the tape over the raw edge of the mask and pin it all around.
7. Hand-sew binding to flannel using a slip stitch.
Inspiration can come from anywhere – just ask the team at Haven at Bellaire, the premier apartments near Energy Corridor. By passing along this information, we hope to inspire you with new ideas, projects, and goals, too.